Personal Data Protection Notice
This Personal Data Protection Notice (“Notice”) sets out how Law Firm of Teo (a law firm registered with the Bar Council under the laws of Malaysia with its registered business at Block A Suite 602, Level 6, Kelana Square, 17 Jalan SS7/26, Petaling Jaya, 47301 Selangor, Malaysia) uses your personal data and its personal data protection practices that will be followed to respect the personal data of individuals who deal with Law Firm of Teo. This notice is provided in accordance with the Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (“the Act”) and the personal data protection principles which are set out in the Act.
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
The type of data collected by Law Firm of Teo regarding individuals generally includes the following:
· Addresses (including email addresses)
· Telephone and facsimile numbers
· Date of birth
· Details about next of kin including spouse and children’s names
· Financial details
· Membership of professional associations
Such data, where it relates directly or indirectly to a specific individual may fall within the definition of personal data under the Act and as such, all acts of processing such personal data will be carried out in compliance with the Act. Under the Act, “processing” includes the acts of collecting, recording, holding or storing personal data.
Law Firm of Teo will collect personal data where it is required for carrying out one or more of its functions or activities. Law Firm of Teo will collect the personal data only by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way.
If it is reasonable and practical to do so, Law Firm of Teo will collect personal data about an individual directly from the individual concerned. Law Firm of Teo may also collect personal data from a variety of other sources, including without limitation at any events, conferences, seminars or talks organised or sponsored by Law Firm of Teo and/or from the cookies used on this website.
PURPOSES FOR WHICH LAW FIRM OF TEO PROCESSES PERSONAL DATA
Among the purposes for which Law Firm of Teo processes personal data include the following (non-exhaustive):
· To consider potential employee’s applications for employment by the firm
· To open and administer client accounts
· To provide services to clients
· To administer independent contractors of the firm
· To send as potential referees to:
o editors/researchers in ranking legal publications and journals;
o potential clients who request for referees of past work in Requests for Proposals, tenders, submissions;
o by way of email or mail.
· For marketing and sales initiatives such as Law Firm of Teo publications, newsletters, articles, write-ups, events, business/legal programs as well as other updates
· Direct marketing purposes
· To provide information to regulatory and governmental authorities in order to comply with statutory and government requirements, including disclosure to the Unclaimed Money Management Division of the Accountant General’s Department of Malaysia (“AGD”) of your information as required pursuant to the Unclaimed Moneys Act 1965 and its attendant regulations in the event of any unclaimed monies on your part;
· For Law Firm of Teo to comply with its obligations under law, including compliance with laws relating to evidence.
USE AND DISCLOSURE
As a general rule, Law Firm of Teo will not use or disclose
personal data about an individual other than for its primary purpose of
· The individual has consented to the use or disclosure
· The use or disclosure is required or authorized by or under law
· The use or disclosure is reasonably necessary for a specified purpose by or on behalf of a regulatory or enforcement body
With regards to Law Firm of Teo’s direct marketing
· Law Firm of Teo will not charge the individual for giving effect to a request not to receive direct marketing communications
· Any individual who receives direct marketing communication from Law Firm of Teo may contact or email Law Firm of Teo to “unsubscribe” or not receive any further direct marketing communications
PERSONAL DATA INTEGRITY
Law Firm of Teo will take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information it collects, uses or discloses is accurate, complete, not misleading and up-to-date.
PERSONAL DATA SECURITY
Law Firm of Teo will take reasonable steps to protect the personal data it holds from loss, misuse, modification, unauthorized or accidental access or disclosure, alteration or destruction.
Law Firm of Teo will not keep personal data for longer than is necessary and will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal data.
ACCESS AND CORRECTION
In accordance with the Act, Law Firm of Teo may on request by an individual, provide them with access to their personal data and consider a request for correction of that data.
Law Firm of Teo’s decision to provide such access or consider any request for correction of the personal data as it appears in Law Firm of Teo’s records is subject always to any exceptions under applicable laws and/or the Act.
Law Firm of Teo may decide to impose a charge upon the individual to cover the cost of verifying a request for information and locating, retrieving, reviewing and copying any material requested.
In accordance with the Act, an individual may forward a written request to Law Firm of Teo to stop processing personal data.
DISCLOSURE TO THIRD PARTIES
Law Firm of Teo may disclose personal data to certain third
parties to perform functions on Law Firm of Teo’s behalf, and consequently may
provide access or disclose personal data to the third parties such as those
listed below (not exhaustive):
· Information technology (IT) service providers;
· Data entry service providers;
· Storage facility service providers;
· Banks and financial institutions;
· Insurance providers;
· Any professional advisers and external auditors; and
· Regulatory and governmental authorities in order to comply with statutory and government requirements, including to the Unclaimed Money Management Division of the Accountant General’s Department of Malaysia.